9.11.14

Trials and tribulations!!

Back to school in the winter usually means the start of coughs, colds and general nasty viruses. And with three children it's really been doing the rounds this year. Nothing major, just the usual coughing sneezing and buckets of snot.....or so we thought.
 Friday night Ruby was particularly restless so I put her into bed with me. The next minute she started fitting. I ran downstairs with her where Mark had been delegated to the sofa. Her head was lolling back and her eyes weren't fixed. She was boiling hot.
 I have never been so scared in my whole life.
 After about five minutes the convulsions stopped. It was the longest few minutes of my life.
 Mark rushed her down to A&E.
 It was a Febrile Seizure
 
 Something that is fairly common, but I had never heard of it.
 
 She is home now. Very tired and clingy. Still hot. But she is home.
 
 How precious are our children? For a split second I thought we were losing her. I couldn't let myself imagine life without her. It is every parents worst fear.
 If you have small children, babies, please read up on Febrile Seizures
 Febrile seizures are quite common. An estimated 1 in 20 children will have at least one febrile seizure at some point. Most febrile seizures occur between the ages of six months and three years. The average age is 18 months.
 I will be better prepared if it happens again. I'm going to invest in a good ear thermometer. I will probably become temperature obsessed!
 But I will be prepared.
 
 
 - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
 

No comments:

Post a Comment